South Indian Lentil Stew
by Dawn Voelker ❤️
- 2 cups Dry Lentils, red variety
- 15 oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 10 oz Spinach (I prefer fresh, but frozen, drained and thawed, is ok)
- 4 cups Chiken/Vegetable Broth
- 1 Small Onion, uncooked/minced
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TBSP Salt (use less or more as needed)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice (optional)
- 1/3 cups Cilantro, fresh, minced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except lemon juice and cilantro, in a large pot.
- Cook on medium-low heat. Simmer until thick and creamy and lentils are soft, about 1 - 1.5 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, stir in lemon juice and cilantro.