Basic Curry - 01
Made this in an InstantPot.
- 4 cans of Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk
- 2 little things of Thai Kitchen Curry Paste
- 3 large peppers (red, yellow, green)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (shitty brand)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Sauteed the paste on low for about 2-3 minutes. Added the milk, switched to high and brought things to a boil. Added veggies and other ingredients, gave the mix a nice stir, and pressure cooked on low for 5 mins.
Note: Keep the last can out and add it before you pressure cook so that you bring the temperature down. This avoids a
BURN on the InstantPot…
Results, Notes, TODO
Veggies were not al dente as I liked. Decent flavor.
- Use coconut milk with the paste
- Try to separate out the fats from the coconut oil the next time
- DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN. Use the separated out cream; it’s rich in fat
- Good Thai coconut milk will have about 15-20% fats in it. Use this to develop flavors in the curry paste!
- Fry the fat, add the paste, reduce until it’s about peanut-buttery-ish, then add more milk (and pressure cook the veggies)
- Try 3 mins on low pressure
- Maesri or Mae Ploy come highly recommended by folks on the internet
- Use kaffir leaves
- Try Tamarind