Read the Community Hardware Guide to pick my components this time. Cheap shit causes headaches and I expect this build to last me a while.
- SuperMicro X11SSM-F-O Micro-ATX: website, manual
- Intel Xeon E3-1230 V6 Kaby Lake
- Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850PX 850W 80+ Platinum
- Crucial 16GB ECC Unbuffered memory (
CT7982341: DDR4-2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC Unbuffered CL15 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V Dual Rank Memory Module) - Finding additional memory was a nightmare.
- 5 x Western Digital 4TB Red NAS Drives
- NZXT Source 210
- Rosewill RFT-120 fan filters. Used nylon 8-32 × ½ Phillips flat-head screws to install them.
- An old Intel 80GB SSD Drive
- FreeNAS 11
- Followed this guide to install PiHole
- Tautulli and Plex in separate Jails.
- Time Machine for my Mac
Node Version Manager
# Install NVM curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.2/install.sh | bash # Install gmake pkg install gmake # Export compilers export CC=cc export CXX=c++ # Install a version nvm install v12.14.0
Mounting NTFS Drives and Copying Things
Needed to copy some media out for mum to a Micro SD card.
# See the status of loaded modules kldstat # Install the FUSE package for NTFS. Seemed to ship with FreeNAS 11 so # I didn't have to do this... pkg install fusefs-ntfs # Load the FUSE module kldload fuse # Show all the disks and their partitions. gpart show => 63 970563521 da2 MBR (463G) 63 1985 - free - (993K) 2048 970561536 1 ntfs (463G) # The "1" refers to the partition. Make sure it's formatted NTFS file -s /dev/da2s1 # Mount it ntfs-3g /dev/da2s1 /mnt/windows # Unmount it unmount /mnt/windows
Would see this in a Jail with mounted volumes:
rsync: mkstemp failed: Operation not permitted
‘Solved’ by adding
--acls --no-perms to the
rsync command. Don’t use
--archive when dealing with custom ACLs.
It’s all here